Wednesday 24 December 2014

On the road and the first waxwings in Gloucestershire

Started a new job last week which has meant a lot of miles covered, however no photos being taken. It has given me the opportunity to watch plenty of bird and mammal life......which helps in passing the time on the commutes to and from work.

There has been two main highlights. The first was two waxwings perched high on the crown of a tree. I was a little surprised and was lucky to be able to pull in at a adjacent junction to make sure. Bins in hand, window down and the frosty air extracting the heat out the car......confirmed!!! Two waxwings under 10 miles from home and according to birdguides possibly the first winter record for the area. Was made up and let's hope this is a good omen for regular sightings of these winter visitors.

My second highlight was late in the evening on my way home. 6 foxes in under 100 metres and one was melanistic....a rare black fox. I have been out a few evenings to try and relocate it but as yet no further sightings. Pity it was in a fairly public area or the camera trap would be getting set up....I fear if I do it will go with a 5 finger discount.

Other sightings have included the starling murmeration in Somerset and as I will be in and out the area for the next 4 weeks let's hope for some photo opportunities and good weather. Plenty of raptors around including Merlin...I love these small raptors.

Deer sightings make my day and this week they have been a plenty, small groups of Roe, herds of Fallow and the odd muntjac.....I always smile when I see the Red Deer stag at a local farm on my way past. He is a stunning 18 pointer...but doesn't really count as a sighting ;)

Well I'm currently sat on a plane heading for what will hopefully be another quick adventure in the land of the cold.....fingers crossed for it being so with beasties a plenty.

May I take this opportunity to thank you all for taking the time to read my entries.

I am very grateful to all my followers and may I  wish you all a Merry Christmas and  I hope 2015 brings happiness and good health to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment