Sunday 2 February 2014

Seirra Morena trip day 4 -Eagles ahoy

Back in the Imperial Eagle Hide today, but with one important difference; the sun was shining & it was a stunning day.

Spanish Imperial Eagle fly-by
I did at least get to see the Eagles today, although they still weren't entirely obliging! The adults flew over several times in the morning & early afternoon, and they were definitely close by for most of the day, as I could hear them calling down the slopes behind the hide. I suspect they may have a kill or a carcase somewhere further down the valley, since they generally guard the bait even if they don't come down for it.  I also saw one of the juveniles fly past.

Spanish Imperial Eagle 

One of the adults did finally perch up in the pine trees in late afternoon, and I think it was working up to come down for the bait, but a group of Griffon Vultures started to descend & the Eagle promptly chased them off & didn't return. 

Spanish Imperial Eagle calling
Many of the same woodland birds kept me occupied in between Eagles' fly-pasts as on my visit on Friday. The Azure-winged Magpies were taking full advantage of the bait being unguarded & at one stage there were over 50 of them on the ground, with at least as many again in the trees around the clearing.

Azure-winged Magpie
 A small gang of Spotless Starlings decided to serenade me.

Spotless Starlings
Again, I saw a Sardinian Warbler and Black Redstarts - presumably the same birds as on Friday. I also had a Greater Spotted Woodpecker, Chaffinches and Serin.  A couple of red Deer were glimpsed through the trees to the far-end of the clearing, and I also saw a Red Squirrel.  It was a really dark brownish-red; much darker than the UK Reds I've seen. 

Black Redstart female
I also had two Black Vultures flying past, but a little too high for decent pictures. Off to the Finca tomorrow for a last look for Lynx, so I'll be keeping everything firmly crossed for a little luck & a dry day.


No comments:

Post a Comment