Wednesday 30 April 2014

Messing about on the river

As it's my day off, I was planning to have a wee bit of a lie-in this morning. But when Lou reported a thick ground fog after she got up at 6am to sort the mutts out, I couldn't resist venturing out for a little drive around Aldbourne, to see if I could  get any  shots of the hares or deer through the mist. There were certainly plenty of hares out & about, but they were markedly more skittish than usual (maybe due to the low visibility) and loped off at speed whenever I got within range. I also saw a couple of Roe Deer, which were also particularly nervous this morning. So, nothing to speak of in the way of photos, but a very pleasant start to the day.

After dropping Lou at work, I decided to check out a small private lake in South Swindon, as I haven't been for a while. The pair of Little Grebes are on eggs at the moment; the male was patrolling around, but he wasn't cooperating in terms of lining up a shot, either. I was starting to worry that this might be a theme for the day, when I managed to capture this shot of a Great Crested Grebe shaking water off after a dive. I really like the muted colours & steely light created by the thick mist.
Great-crested Grebe
This afternoon, it was back off to the Water Voles again, as planned. I spent a good 3 hours watching them, and finally got a few of the shots I've had in mind. Got a fair bit of processing & sorting through to keep my busy for a few evenings, now!






No comments:

Post a Comment